Gentlemen! Are you planning to start a family soon? Have you ever considered your fertility health?
The desire to have a child is not reserved for the “typical” hetero couple. Now, more than ever, there are more ways to achieve the dream of family. In the LGBTQ community, couples exploring the different paths to parenthood are finding there are choices, whether it be egg donation, sperm donation, surrogacy or adoption. Often, male gay couples opt for surrogacy in order to have a biological connection to their baby. This being said, male fertility can sometimes be overlooked. If issues in the process arise, sperm quantity, quality and motility are very likely the culprit. Here, SIRM Las Vegas breaks down five ways to improve male fertility.
So what can you do if faced with male infertility?
A man seeking to address infertility should examine his lifestyle and make sure he’s making the right choices. SIRM Las Vegas discusses five things you can do to improve male fertility.
1. Check your lifestyle: Typical suggestions such as eating a healthy, well-balanced diet and getting plenty of exercise and sleep can actually play a huge role in fertility. Exercising regularly is shown to increase testosterone levels and improve semen quality. Too much body fat may disrupt production of reproductive hormones, which can reduce sperm count and increase the percentage of abnormal sperm. These two things go hand-in-hand and can make a huge difference
2. Cut down on the booze: The intake of too much alcohol may reduce testosterone levels and impair semen quality… so skip Happy Hour and try to limit alcohol consumption while TTC.
3. Learn to chill: Stress may interfere with certain hormones needed to produce sperm and can also decrease sexual function. Stress management can be as simple as taking a walk in nature, meditating, exercising or spending time with friends. If you’re a tech-savvy fella, check out the Calm App.
4. Tweak your diet: Work more antioxidant-rich food into your diet. Antioxidants reduce oxidative stress which can cause sperm fragility and poor quality. Some of our favorites are: blueberries, dark chocolate, pecans, artichokes and spices like cinnamon, clove and oregano.
5. Incorporate supplements: There are quite a few vitamins and supplements that can reinforce your health initiatives when trying to boost fertility. Vitamins C and D are no brainers, but confer with SIRM Las Vegas to see if Fenugreek, Zinc, Ashwagandha or D-Aspartic Acid are right for you in this instance.
Adjusting your lifestyle and cultivating healthy habits can greatly increase male fertility. If you’ve adopted the suggestions above and are still experiencing infertility, there may be more reproductive assistance needed. You can further review and discuss with SIRM Las Vegas, Las Vegas, Nevada.